Re: DID conflict

Subject: Re: DID conflict
From: Matthew Geier (matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 17:47:28 EST

Ian Hitchman wrote:

> Happy new year to you all,
>
> Could anyone tell me if the "DID conflict" was ever resolved, or how I
> might fix this on my system. I am slowly going through the mail archive at
> the moment.

 The fix is to turn off the DID Inode kludge and have broken directory
aliases.

 I wonder if the Linux FS could be hacked so that it didn't reuse Inodes
so fast, or even just cycled through the entire inode number space
available and only re-used old ones when the number space filled. That
would shunt the unique identifier back onto the FS layer, which appears
to be what Apple did with OSX Server, it only supports file sharing on
HFS volumes....

 Of course hacking the VFS would only work on Linux or some other
OpenSource OS you had the code to. Won't help on the other platforms.
 (PS I don't know this type of hack is possible let a lone desirable!)

--
Matthew Geier			matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713