Netatalk flubs data on text files, not others

Subject: Netatalk flubs data on text files, not others
From: Steve Freitas (steve@ihonk.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 05:08:08 EST

Hi,

Sorry for the cross-post, but I don't know if this is an -admin or -devel
question. I'm using 1.5pre3 on RH7.

Here's the short version of a confusing situation. I have a file
("blah.iso") sitting on a Linux box running Netatalk with a Mac logged
into it. I used the Linux box to download this file.

1. From the Linux box's CLI, it md5sums 'abcd'.
2. From the Mac, it md5sums 'wxyz'.
3. Uh oh.
4. 'mv blah.iso blah.tar.gz'
5. From the Linux box's CLI, it md5sums 'abcd'.
6. From the Mac, it md5sums 'abcd'.

What the heck? First I wondered if crlf was enabled by default, but a few
tests disproved this. I'm using very stock config files.
AppleVolumes.default only contains ~.

Here's another test. I took the same file, and made two copies: test1.txt
and test2.tar.gz. On Linux they md5summed identically. I then copied both
of them to the Mac. They md5summed differently, though test2.tar.gz's
md5sum matched the Linux checksums.

Any ideas?

Steve Freitas