Re: Fwd: Re: HELP!!! Need to undo file translation - I think

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: HELP!!! Need to undo file translation - I think
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 21:01:48 EST

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001, Adam Gothard wrote:
> netatalk@umich.edu if for reporting bugs. Try sending your message to
> netatalk-admins@umich.edu.
>
> > From: Adam Gothard <Adam@Gothard.com>
> > To: netatalk@umich.edu
> >
> > Hello! I am hoping that you might be able to help me with a severe problem
>
> -
>
> > have come across with Netatalk for Linux. I have successfully installed
> > Netatalk on Linux (Slackware dist.) for our server at work. We recently
> > sent
>
> -
>
> > some files from some Mac G4s to the shared folder. Then I wrote those
> > files to a CD. However, now we have noticed that some of the files have
> > some problems... especially and most importantly, our PageMaker files can't
> > be read by PageMaker on the Macs. I know almost nothing about Netatalk, so
> > my guess was that when the files were transfered over to the server, a
> > CR-LF translation was done on the PageMaker file which messed the whole
> > thing up. I tried to use the fromdos command on the file, but had no
> > success. Is there
>
> -
>
> > anything we can do to restore these files? It is EXTREMELY important to be
> > able to read these PageMaker files, as the originals on the macs have
> > already
>
> -
>
> > been erased. (ooops).
> >
> > If you could help at all with this problem, or refer me to
> > someone/someplace that could help I would be very appreciative.
> >
> > Thank You,
> > Adam Gothard
> > Tag Team Productions

I donīt know if CR and LF are swapped by netatalk when translated.

If so a
        tr '\n\r' '\r\n' < messed-up-file > temp-file ; mv -f temp-file messed-up-file
for the data fork (not those in the .AppleDouble dirs) will do it.

But if netatalk just either translates all CRs to LFs or LFs to CRs you will have no chance.

It leaves an open question: why have these files been translated at all?
Should be no TEXT files.

Kind regards, good luck

        Carsten