printer spooling...

Subject: printer spooling...
From: Richard Goldberg (rickg@yorku.ca)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 09:17:58 EST

Hi all,

Our lab has lots of Macs with a sun server running netatalk for file
sharing. We have 4 printers set up to accept print jobs directly from
the macs over apple-talk. We would like to move the printers onto the
net-atalk server to keep things centralized.

We put them in the papd file and it generally works fine, with the
exception of a few computers. One running OS 8.1 and one running OSX
(current beta). We think the problem might have something to do with the
print jobs needing extra fonts.

Here's a question: How does the spooling process deal with downloading
fonts to the printer? (I.e. the fonts are on the client computer, the
printer finds out when it gets the document from the server that it
needs a couple extra fonts from the client computer, but now its getting
its info from a spool file on the server, rather than from the client
computer.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

***************************** **************************************
*Rick Goldberg * * *
*Graduate Student * * "I never wanted to be average, *
*Computer Science Dept * * because when you are average you *
*York University * * are just as far from the top as *
*Toronto, Canada * * you are from the bottom." *
*rickg@yorku.ca * * -Stan Cottrell- *
*www.cs.yorku.ca/~rickg * * *
     "If you don't invest very much, the defeat doesn't hurt,
             But winning isn't very exciting."