Re: file / directory permissions

Subject: Re: file / directory permissions
From: Ryan McBeth (ryan@mobiusnm.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 05:46:02 EST

Menno,

You might not really want them to create files in the / directory.

If you take a look at the unix file system, there are some standard directories
that will always be there, /etc, /usr, and so on. You really don't want that
file system filling up with junk, or allowing a user to overwrite
your /etc/hosts file.

I would create a directory in / called "/opt". This is one way of telling
users that "This is the place for everything else." If you want to get really
creative, you could create "/opt/marketing" for marketing people, "/opt/devel"
for developers and "/opt/general" for communication between the two.

Let me know how it turns out.

Ryan

Quoting Menno Bockweg <menno@imco.nl>:

> Hey all,
>
> I've set up an netatalk server. The mac-users are organised in various
> groups. Each group has it's own netatalk-volume. Each user is also
> member of a "main" group. The main group (all users together) have
> access to another netatalk-volume. The permission of the directory of
> this "main"-volume should be ok, the groupbits are set to "rws" (chmod
> 2770..). Everything seems te be okay... The members can create
> directories in the directory-root of the volume, move / create files in
> their own created directories... but (!) they cannot create / move
> files to the root directory. When they try to do so, they get an error
> messages "You don't have the permissions to ... blah blah ...". What's
> happening here ??
> They have the right permissions to create directories but not to create
> files ?!?!?
>
> Really hope anyone could help me out here,
>
> Thanx!
>
> Menno

Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM