Guest Only Server

Subject: Guest Only Server
From: Keith Baker (keith@trenza.com)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 11:51:27 EST

A guest only server seemed like a good idea for security. I have two
servers on one box. Guest is one of them. Guest is defined as such:
"Guest" -transall -uamlist uams_guest.so -systemvol
/etc/atalkd/AppleVolumes.guest \

the AppleVolumes.guest file has all of the standard mappings and then at the
bottom has the line
/mnt/world World

The lines describing the AppleVolumes file says that the systemvol one
defines the mappings and the shares available to guest... so I figured this
should make just the share "World" available to guest. It did... however
in the list (greyed out mind you) was another share from
Applevolumes.default. Why would this exist as I am guest? I figrued the
fact that it was greyed out was ok... but not the best of all worlds... So
I created a new AppleVolumes.default file (as AppleVolumes.empty added it
with -defaultvol option) and removed everything except the "World" share
from the .empty file. Now I get nothing for guest! Argh!... It seems from
reading that the only thing I should have to do for a guest volume is add it
to the AppleVolumes.system! This is really screwy!

Keith

P.S. Anyone else get an occasional Hickup in their transfers. about every
meg or so I see a considerable well... not slowdown... it really stops...
and then it continues... ideas?