RE: Hidden Files Not Being Copied

Subject: RE: Hidden Files Not Being Copied
From: Ray Zimmerman (rz10@cornell.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 14:14:37 EST

Sorry, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on a few
things here George ...

Not all Mac files have resource forks. I can send you one without if
you like and you can verify it by trying to open it in ResEdit and
having it tell you that it doesn't have a resource fork and would you
like to create one.

Again, I believe the Finder attributes (dates, invisible flag, etc)
are actually part of the HFS and HFS+ definitions.

The DOS-formatted disk phenomenon you mention has to do with creating
the Finder.dat files which contain these attributes, but resource
forks are not created.

Also, a '/' is legal in a Mac file name. I think it's only the ':'
(the MacOS directory separator) that's illegal.

        Ray