Using netatalk to share mounted volume

Subject: Using netatalk to share mounted volume
From: Edward Plese (eplese@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 18:19:29 EST

In our current environment we were attempting to have
a Windows 2000 file server host files for both Macs
and PCs. Apparently however, Mac file sharing for
Win2k has a serious bug that causes it to crash the
server a few times every day. What I am considering
would be to setup a Linux box and mount the Windows
2000 file share on the Linux box and then share this
mounted volume out to Macs using netatalk. I have
tested this and it works fine on a small scale. One
thing that I am still wondering is as follows.. Win2k
Mac file services will build a file and directory
index of the entire volume which becomes very large
with hundreds of thousands of files. Over a network
this would be horrible. Does netatalk build a file
index such as this?
Is there any reason this would not work well on a
larger scale?

Thanks again,
-Ed