Re: Wireless Appletalk

Subject: Re: Wireless Appletalk
From: Tom Watson (tsw@johana.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 04:36:26 EST

Check the driver for the LAN intrfaces. AppleTalk REQUIRES that
MAC level interfaces provide a hardware multicast capability. Some
drivers (I worked on one) don't provide it, or do it in a very
marginal way (like only in promiscous mode). I just took a brief
look at the code (file "wavelan.c" in .../drivers/net) and saw some
code relating to hardware multicast mode. Some code in OTHER parts
of the networking are need to have the configuration paramater for
"IP: multicasting" (which is quite another thing, really) turned on to
enable MAC level (ISO level 2) multicast things. You might want to
check there. If you have some way of "sniffing" at packets, you might
look there to see that when things such as AppleTalk name lookups happen
(use the program 'nbplkup'), the multicast address (09:00:07:FF:FF:FF)
gets out. Then look for a response back.

Good luck in your work.
Sorry about the delay in a response. I've been busy.

--
Tom Watson         Generic short signature
tsw@johana.com     (I'm at home now)