Re: Sharing CD-ROM's and Floppy's via NetaTalk

Subject: Re: Sharing CD-ROM's and Floppy's via NetaTalk
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 23:54:22 EST

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, Bill Moran wrote:
> Carsten Neumann wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, Philip B. Bechtel wrote:
> > > Stefan,
> > >
> > > I used Supermount to allow the CDs to be mounted. It worked ok for
> > > most files, but never was satisfactory for Mac executables.
> > > The reason was that the date/time information that Linux offered to the
> > > Mac clients, was almost always out-of-order, and the software
> > > would refuse to work.
> > >
> > > Good Luck, and let me know if it works. It was a long time ago, that I
> > > used netatalk to serve CDs to Macs, I hope the date/time
> > > information has been corrected, kernel 1.3.
> > >
> > > Phil
> >
> > I think the bigger problem is that your resource fork and finder info will get dropped.
> > Afpd uses the .AppleDouble dir to store these things, i.e. one extra file per mac file.
> > An HFS volume (or ISO9660 w/HFS extension) stores these in two separate directories .finderinfo and
> > .resource, i.e. two extra files per mac file.
> > They aren't seen by afpd.
> > So you only have access to the data fork, which is sometimes not enough. ;-)
> > Or is there an option to mount HFS volumes that they can properly be used via afpd?
> > Or an option for afpd?
>
> There is a suite of HFS tools for FreeBSD that allow mounting of HFS
> volumes (including CD-ROMs, etc) I'd assume that they're available under
> Linux, but I don't know. I also don't know the extent of their
> capability. It's something to look into, though.
>
> -Bill

There is a program suite which is called hfsutils, it contains programs as:

       hattrib - change HFS file or directory attributes
       hcd - change working HFS directory
       hcopy - copy files from or to an HFS volume
       hdel - delete both forks of an HFS file
       hdir - display an HFS directory in long format
       hformat - create a new HFS filesystem and make it current
       hls - list files in an HFS directory
       hmkdir - create a new HFS directory
       hmount - introduce a new HFS volume and make it current
       hpwd - print the full path to the current HFS working directory
       hrename - rename or move an HFS file or directory
       hrmdir - remove an empty HFS directory
       humount - remove an HFS volume from the list of known volumes
       hvol - display or change the current HFS volume

       hfssh - Tcl interpreter with HFS extensions

       hfs - shell for manipulating HFS volumes
       xhfs - graphical interface for manipulating HFS volumes

This is also available for linux.

But with that you cannot really mount a HFS volume into your filesystem.
"hmount" rather means: remember in a text file that on device (partition) /dev/<somewhat>
there is a volume called <volume-name>.
"hcd" means: remember, you last visit <directory> on last volume (you have separate working dirs on
each of the "mounted" volumes).
Etc.
You ALWAYS access the HFS volumes DIRECTLY via the hfsutils (raw i/o on the device).

Since the Mac volume isn't really mounted at some mount point, afpd will never see it.
These utils are solely designed to access Mac HFS volumes via commandline (or wrappers).

I just remember:
The utils mdir, mcopy, etc are the mess-dos pendants for that.
I never had to deal with them. :-)

Regards

        Carsten