Re: Building 1.5pre3 for FreeBSD

Subject: Re: Building 1.5pre3 for FreeBSD
From: Bill Moran (wmoran@mail.iowna.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 13:28:35 EST

Ralph Dratman wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am using FreeBSD 3.3 and have Netatalk 4.2 working.
> Mostly it seems fine. However, there is a problem with certain
> directories when brought up on a Mac. At first there are many items,
> then the items "flicker" and mostly disappear, leaving only a few
> folders and a file called "[".

You can also install the Netatalk version with asun patches to fix this.
Although I've heard that the 1.5pre is even better. (advantage to the
version with the asun patches is there's a FreeBSD port/package
available, so installation is a snap)

<SNIP>

> I looked for Makefile and found instead Makefile.am and Makefile.in.
> Makefile.am contained a line
>
> DESTDIR =
>
> which I changed to
>
> DESTDIR = /usr/local/
>
> (Was this correct? Or should I have omitted the trailing slash?).
>
> Then I typed "make" and got back
>
> make: no target to make.
>
> Question: What did I do wrong and what should I do now?

Seems like there should be a configure step in there. Try changing
Makefile.am back the way it was, then enter "./configure" in the base
directory of the Netatalk source. There should then be an actual
"Makefile" that you can edit per the above instructions, and make should
work after that.

-Bill