Re: CRLF fun stuff again...

Subject: Re: CRLF fun stuff again...
From: Steve Freitas (sflist@ihonk.com)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 05:27:02 EST

> But the transformation is reversible. the conversion is as follows:
>
> CR -> LF
> LF -> CR
>
> You do the transformation twice and you get back an identical file.

Not true with all files. Some CR-based files have some LFs in there for
other purposes. When your conversion turns all CRs into LFs, you've wiped
out the ability to turn the LFs back to CRs without disturbing the original
LFs. All LFs become CRs, and your data is corrupted. That's why this
transformation qualifies as high-potential corruption when applied to
anything but a text file. And we cannot always be sure what is text and what
is not, which means this is unsolvable.

Steve