Re: CRLF fun stuff again...

Subject: Re: CRLF fun stuff again...
From: Albert Lunde (Albert-Lunde@northwestern.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 10:05:57 EST

> I don't know... I discussed it with the list, but everybody I talked to
> seemed to think that CR/LF was off, and in fact when I explicitly tested its
> functionality, it was off. However, Netatalk was definitely fiddling with my
> ISO and corrupting it through linefeeds, and my experimentation showed that.
>
> > I'll repeat again my position: if netatalk is going to have this
> > feature, and there's evidence that people want it, then it should
> > work properly. People who don't want this feature should be
> > unaffected by it.
>
> If it's possible for it to work properly, I agree. However, my concern is
> that Netatalk's default configuration (1.5prex) currently permits corruption
> of binaries, and I think all CR/LF ought to be disabled by default.

It sounds like there's a strong case for making it a compile-time
option that's off by default. Evict the suspect code.

In these times of the web, the most effective transformation
of end-of-lines will recognize LF CR and CRLF and transform
each into a single end-of-line, but this is definitely NOT
reversible.

I use a short C program to fix end of lines when I need it,
and use BBEdit for most text eding with the default set to Unix
end of line for new files.

--
    Albert Lunde          Albert-Lunde@northwestern.edu (new address)
                          Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu (old address)