Re: lost AppleDesktop data!

Subject: Re: lost AppleDesktop data!
From: Marc Miller (itlm019@mailbox.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 18:28:35 EST

You can try rebuilding the desktop (see your MacOS manual on that), but I
don't know if that will bring back your icons or not. If that doesn't
work, you'll just have to open up one file of each file type and resave it
(forcing the AppleDesktop icon and file type data to be rewritten).

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Flint Million wrote:

> Is there a way to rebuild the desktop data with netatalk? I transferred my
> netatalk shared directory to a new partition, but forgot to copy the
> .AppleDesktop folder, and now all applications have the plain old "paper
> with pencil" icon. Can I restore the icons, or do I actually have to
> re-copy every single file?? (Believe me, this is a software archive
> server, and it would take a long time to copy everything over again.) BTW
> I did remember to copy the .AppleDouble folder, so all the applications
> run OK, they just don't have their icons.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> netatalk 1.4+asun1.2
> linux 2.2.16 in an i486

        /\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller (itlm019@mailbox.ucdavis.edu)
        Computer Room Consultant
        Information Technology/Lab Management
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/