Re: Why do long names (char > 27) not created through atalk not show up over atalk?

Subject: Re: Why do long names (char > 27) not created through atalk not show up over atalk?
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 05:25:23 EST

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Matthew Geier wrote:

> Cliff Crawford wrote:
> >
> > * Chris Harwell <charwell@digitalpulp.com> menulis:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > When a file with a long file name is created in linux (in this case via scp)
> > > it doesn't show up over atalk. If a file with a long name is created over
> > > netatlk it does.
> > >
> > > Anyway around this?
> >
> > Not really, Mac OS has a 32-character limit on filenames. So you have to
> > make sure the filenames are shorter than that for them to show up.
> >
> > (If the cutoff you're experiencing really is at 27 characters, like it
> > says in the subject, and not 32, then I guess it's not the Mac OS
> > filename limit that's causing it..I don't know what could be wrong in
> > that case.)
>
> 27 + '.' + 'M$ style 3 letter extension' ?, thats 31 characters....

Feel like lying naked under the table of a pub - people tumbling around,
kicking my balls.

Are we going MessDos?!

Filenames aren't "suffixed" by afpd when transferred to a Mac.
If so: why? There would be no need. Netatalk is not samba!

I just checked this: the limit is at 31 chars (like MacOS).
Are you using a different version of natatalk?
I'm using 1.4b2+asun2.1.3.

Regards

        Carsten