Re: Why do long names (char > 27) not created through atalk not show up over atalk?

Subject: Re: Why do long names (char > 27) not created through atalk not show up over atalk?
From: Bill Moran (wmoran@mail.iowna.com)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 06:05:10 EST

Danny Sauer wrote:

> > No, but if samba were creating the files, it would look on the Mac like
> > the "filename" (the part before the dot) was limited to 27 chars.
>
> You mean if the files were created on windows with "hide registered file types"
> activated, then the windows user would only see 27 chars, but the mac and *nix
> sides would see the dot and extension that windows creates behind the scenes,
> pushing the real filename over the 31 char limit. Right?

No, when Win makes the file it makes fname.ext - always. The setting for
"hide registered file types" does nothing to change the filename. It
only affects the way explorer _displays_ the name.
However ... If you're creating files with windows you will _need_ a file
extension so windows knows what the file is (since it doesn't use magic
like UN*X or a resource fork like Mac) Therefore, the maximum length of
the _filename_ part of the name ... if you create it from windows and
want it to be accessible from the Mac is 27 characters.
If you consider the extension part of the filename, then the max is 31
characters.
It's not a technical thing, it's a matter of how you look at it.

> The problem here, as usual, likely lies with windows. :)

Sorry, but I don't consider this a "problem". I'm not a windows advocate
or anything (I use nothing but FreeBSD, personally) but the decision to
use file extensions to identify file types is no different than Apple's
decision to use resource forks for the same purpose. The issue is simply
the incompatibility in the way this is handled between different
systems.
I do have other complaints about this approach, however. If the file
extension is so important, then the "." should be a reserved character
in Windows and should not be a legal part of the filename. If Micros~1
had thought it through and made the dot illegal except to create file
extensions, this rash of "viruses" (as the media lazily and inaccurately
calls them) wouldn't be occurring because a file like
"kornakova.jpg.vbs" would be an illegal filename and couldn't fool
people.
That, however, is off topic.

-Bill