Wrapping MIME around an appledouble file

Subject: Wrapping MIME around an appledouble file
From: Bob Rogers (rogers-netatalk@rgrjr.dyndns.org)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 12:08:39 EST

   From: "Chris Garrigues" <cwg-dated-e7ea9493218076d8@deepeddy.com>
   Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:07:25 -0600

   I need to grab a file saved on a server using netatalk from a perl CGI and
   transmit it to the user.

   So far, all my attempts do is to crash netscape with an error of type
   3. This makes it kinda hard to debug.

   Has anybody done this? Is there anything special I have to do to the data?

My guess is that the .AppleDouble part is blowing Netscape's poor little
mind, since it is actually binary data rather than 8-bit text. I would
try sending it using base64 encoding; you can pipe it through the
attached helper app, courtesy of the vm mail reader (version 6.89,
(http://www.wonderworks.com/vm).

   Deciding how to encode the data fork might be trickier . . . base64
should be sufficient, though probably overkill in many cases.

   And then there's the problem of saving these properly on the
receiving end. Has anybody ever heard of a MIME standard for Mac files?
Failing that, you might want to try sending a Mac file from a Mac, and
see how Netscape (or whatever) encodes the data fork (if at all). If it
does, and the format is not too hard to generate, that might be a better
solution.

                                        -- Bob Rogers

base64-encode.c source