Netatalk ok, reliable for large no of users?

Subject: Netatalk ok, reliable for large no of users?
From: Rory Campbell-Lange (rory@campbell-lange.net)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 13:18:51 EST

Hi

We're running about 120 Mac users off 1 NT4 Compaq Proliant 1600 server in
a flat network arrangement that is fully switched. The NT4 server has a
single 100Mb card set to full duplex. Its 40Gb disk space is running at
about 95% full. We need to replace this server with one or more servers
providing, probably, a faster network interface - dual network cards - and
about 100Gb file serving space.

I ran a couple of tests comparing the performance over the network of
reading and writing files over AoIP to a 7200 (<100Mb RAM) working as our
intranet server, and compared this performance to the NT4 server. I used
the helios lantest to do the tests, using small 3000K files. It seems that
we would gain from a large benefit in network performance if we moved to
AoIP if I'm correct in thinking that the Linux box would have done better
with a 100Mb card set to full duplex. I might be wrong though!

in KB/sec NT4 Linux
write 3000KB file 756 810
read 3000KB file 870 1024

I am trying to select the correct hardware/software combination for these
file servers. We do not have complex group/user configuration, and there is
relatively little protection of directories as we work in a collaborative
work environment. Our main network usage of files are Microstation CAD
files, few of which are over 3Mb in size.

Is netatalk/Linux a viable alternative to NT4/Windows 2000 for file serving
for about 120 Mac users? Or should I be waiting for the new OSX server?

I'd be really grateful for any advice or comment
Rory

--
	Rory Campbell-Lange
	The Campbell-Lange Workshop