Netatalk wire speed

Subject: Netatalk wire speed
From: Niall O Broin (niall@magicgoeshere.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 21:30:01 EST

Hi again all,
        I've been a long time user of netatlk but I haven't been on this
list for a while, as netatalk just works for me. But now I have an issue
that I'm sure I've seen discussed before but I can't find a reference
(probably not looking in the right place)

I need to copy about 13GB of files from a Linux box to a G3 Powerbook. The
Linux box is running 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 (it's stock SuSE 7) and the Powerbook
has mounted the filesystem using TCP (I hope - I entered the server IP
address rather than picking it by name from the Chooser so that should do
it, no ?). The server has a 3C509 card and is connected to the Powerbook by
a crossover cable, and the link lights indicate that 100 MB is active. When
I drag the relevant folder to the Powerbook (containing about 18000 files)
it trundles away for a while, counting up to the number of files, and then
starts copying. The estimated varies as a few files are copied, but it's
always around 40 hours. Now cutting corners here and there this equates to
an approx. transfer rate of ~ 5MB / minute - this is just a tad below the
wire speed of a 100 MB network.

Now I know that afp won't really approach wirespeed, even over TCP rather
than Appletalk, but even so ~ 5MB / minute seems a bit slow. Anyone have
any suggestions ?

Kindest regards,

Niall O Broin