Re: Helping Out

Subject: Re: Helping Out
From: Chip Mefford (cmefford@avwashington.com)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 12:41:28 EST

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Daniel E. Lautenschleger wrote:

> I think many folks would like to see dropkludge,

What's Dropkludge? I assume it is some kludge to mimic the
AppleShare Server "drop box" world write/owner rwx thingee.

This would be very nice, but it seems a bit strange. I simply
gave up and created a directory below home with subdirs for all
my users with group rw for "users" and symlinked it to the home
directories. Make a little script to add it automagicly at user
creation time. Everyone of course can read everyone elses "drop
box" but that makes it no different from those mailboxes up at
the receptionists desk.

I have department specific shares set up for accounting and management
and the like to keep prying eyes out of sensitive stuff, so it
is sort of an answer.

Would be nice to have the AppleShare Server Dropbox though, as folks
were used to it.

>a DID database,

What's a DID database?

>and the
> feature that allows files created in netatalk volumes to have the same
> ownership and permissions as the parent (correct)?

Yes, that would be really nice, but again, by setting the sticky bit
for group, and having folks "copy" over onto the server rather than
creating on the server, this seems to work out okay.