Re: Problems in spanish characters exchange

Subject: Re: Problems in spanish characters exchange
From: Frank Joerdens (frank@joerdens.de)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 08:38:33 EST

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 07:13:48PM +0100, Jesus wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> We are running a new Linux box for experimenting with it as an
> Netatalk server for files exchange between an Apple network and the PC
> side, through SAMBA. Though, we are experimenting some strange errors
> when sharing files with accented letters and with spanish-specyfical
> symbols / letters, like "ñ" and "ç" . Might it be a misconfiguration
> or are we skipping any option in the Apple//Linux/Windows side?

On the Samba side, use

[global]
character set = iso8859-1

in the smb.conf file, and on the Netatalk end

/path/to/volume volumename codepage=maccode.iso8859-1

in e.g. Applevolumes.default. What's actually _way_ cooler is if you use
the mswindows option instead of the codepage. This would enforce the
same iso8859-1 (I am actually not 100% as to whether your Spanish
characters are included there; it's what I do for German umlauts) page
but also make it impossible for Mac users to create filenames containing
characters that are forbidden under Windows, such as ?:\/*<>|.
Unfortunately, I haven't come across a version of netatalk yet where
this works (and I tried most of the versions that are currently in
circulation), as the codepage support appears to be broken in all the
current snapshots. If you manage to dig up such a version, please let me
know!!! The solution with the codepage works OK for the most part here
(except my Windows box crashes sometimes when it comes across a filename
containing ':').

The most serious restricion in this Windows/Mac scenario actually is
that Samba and Netatalk use incompatible locking mechanisms to determine
whether a file is currently being accessed. This may cause havoc if a
Mac and a Windows user are trying to access the same file
simultaneously. This hasn't happende here yet, curiously. It's about 10
Macs and 5 Windows users accessing a Linux box with Netatalk/Samba which
has been running for about 6 months.

Regards, Frank