Re: losing connection to server

Subject: Re: losing connection to server
From: Matthew Geier (matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 15:59:21 EST

Mac Conin wrote:

> hi there,
>
> as a newbie to netatalk here's a (I guess) mostly often discussed question...
>
> when loggin on to the linux server (suse 7.x, netatalk 1.5.x)
> the server cuts up the connection afer a period of time.
>
> Is there a switch to keep the connections alive when they go idle?

 An ASIP capable client that connects via AppleTalk instead of IP will
do this. Been discussed before, but no one has offered a solution.
 I.E, on my installation if a MacOS 8.1 or later machine connects via
AppleTalk they will get booted off in about 5 minutes. Via TCP/IP it
works fine.
 I found some 8.6 machines connecting via AppleTalk instead of IP when
they were set to 'connect at startup'. We also run 'keyserver' which has
both AppleTalk and IP communications. When its set to IP, it forces the
IP stack to load before the AppleShare prep is read, thus IP is
available when the shares are mounted.
 The disconnection problem is still there, but the users don't notice
any more. (And get a faster fileshare connection in the deal..)