Re: FreeBSD - Building 1.5pre3...

Subject: Re: FreeBSD - Building 1.5pre3...
From: Hauke Fath (hf@Tangro.DE)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 04:03:50 EST

At 22:57 01.03.01 +0100, Jason Quigley wrote:

>Looks like I was a silly boy. I should have been using 'gmake' instead of
>'make'. Why it didn't register I don't know! The expression "Can't see the
>wood for the trees" springs to mind.

No. Looks like those who did the transition to autoconf are the silly boys
- because they built in needless dependencies on GNU make.

The majority of configure scripts out there does _not_ depend on GNU make
but instead works with a reasonable subset of make commands that is
supported by a wide variety of make tools out there.

Whoever is responsible for this gratuitous change: Please remove any gmake
dependencies. Netatalk has long been a cross-platform application that
could be built without having half a GNU-Linux distribution around. Let's
keep it that way.

My 0.02 EUR,

         hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        Tangro Software Components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg