The item "..." cannot be written, because it is locked.

Subject: The item "..." cannot be written, because it is locked.
From: John G Dorsey (john+@cs.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 16:06:00 EST

Hello,

I'm running netatalk 1.5pre4 on a Linux box, with a MacOS 9.0.4 client. I've
observed that I can create directories in volumes mounted from the Linux box
on the MacOS client, but when I attempt to copy a file from the client to
the mounted volume, I get:

  The item "<filename>" cannot be written, because it is locked.
  Do you want to continue?

In perusing the archives of this list, I've come across several references
to incorrect permissions, particularly on the .AppleDouble directory. I
haven't had much luck in choosing various owners, groups, and modes for the
files and directories which are being exported. (Even mode 777 doesn't seem
to change anything.) The most recent traffic to this effect in the web
archive appears to be from 15 Jan 2001, but I don't think there was a
resolution posted.

May I ask for suggestions as to likely culprits?

Thanks!
-jd