Bug? (not x-posted to devel): "/" in filename = "Type -50" error

Subject: Bug? (not x-posted to devel): "/" in filename = "Type -50" error
From: Richard Michael (rmichael@numbersixnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 13:29:05 EST

Hello,

I've been using Netatalk and CAP for a few years, and have come across
this a few times. I think most of my users have seen it before, but
probably work around it without telling me.

I'd consider this a bug; unless it's been well documented and I haven't
noticed. I've checked the docs section of sourceforge, the Linux
Netatalk HOWTO, and the Netatalk FAQ from 1.4b2.

That said, I'm sure admins have been experiencing this problem, and I've
seen it discussed on netatalk-admins before.

The problem is that when a file on a Mac contains the "/" character, a
"Type -50" will be returned from the server.

I've found this as recently as MacOS 9.0.1 w/ AppleShare 3.8.5.

Philosophically, I think it's a server side problem, since "/" is a
valid Mac filename character and, accordingly, an Apple AppleShare
server wouldn't expect it to be escaped or protected.

I'm speculating that the -50 (see below) is returned because the
"subdirectories" resulting from the name confusion don't exist (implying
no permission to write/read/stat). For example (a common user naming
scheme): "My File - Changed 01/03/06"; where "My File - Changed 01" and
"03" become "directories" to afpd.

I know this is usually explained as a .AppleDouble (or .finderinfo)
perms problem, but in my most recent experience the user was able to
copy another file (to the same dir, etc. etc.) without a problem. There
were no "/" characters in the second test file and when the "/"
characters were removed from the name, the copy succeeded.

I've been cautioning my users against "exotic" naming characters for
years, to work around PC->Mac translations; stick to a-Z,-,_," "
(avoiding " " when possible).

For reference,

At TIL:
        "-50 paramErr Error in user parameter list"
At http://www.muc.edu/CIS/HelpDesk/faqs/MacErrorCodes.html:
        "-50 Error getting file position"

Comments? Does everyone know about this and I've just explicated the
obvious? Shouldn't Netatalk's afpd map the "/" character, as CAP and
Netatalk do with the Icon: hex names?

Regards,
Richard