Re: Samba and Netatalk

Subject: Re: Samba and Netatalk
From: David R Bosso (dbosso@ltsc.ucsb.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 18:33:14 EST

--On Tuesday, March 6, 2001 5:56 PM -0500 Richard Michael
<rmichael@numbersixnetworks.com> wrote:

> I've been doing this for awhile. I have a stable netatalk/samba server
> at netatalk 1.4b2+asun. No trouble; unless my users aren't telling me.
> Read the mailing lists - there a --with-netatalk config time option (not
> in the build docs that I could see, but it was covered on the mailing
> list IIRC). --with-netatalk is currently an experimental hack, if I
> remember, it forces samba to move the .AppleDouble entries if a PC user
> moves files around from the PC (so as not to pooch appleshare side
> stuff). Don't know how reliable it is, I only included that option on
> the most recent server I config'd and it hasn't been tested thoroughly
> yet.

I've been researching this for a while, and the biggest problem I've seen
is incompatible locking. Simultaneously opening a datafile from both a
Samba connected PC and a Netatalk connected Mac can cause strange things to
happen if they both try to modify the file. There are no errors, and the
file can easily be corrupted.

AFAIK the --with-netatalk in Samba does nothing. Unless something has been
changed recently, it was a feature that was never finished.

-David