Re: very [newbie]

Subject: Re: very [newbie]
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 19:58:06 EST

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001, Bob Rogers wrote:
[snip}
> In a nutshell, atalkd uses AppleTalk (via DDP) protocol(s?), while afpd
> uses AFPoverTCP (via TCP).
[snip]

Hmmm, are you sure?
This would mean I could leave off starting afpd since I just use AppleTalk via DDP (MacOS 7.6.1).
I always thought that atalkd establishes the "basic" protocols ECHO, ZIP, RTMP, NBP (Name-binding
is essential to "see" the server in the Chooser ;-) ).
And afpd implements AFP (DDP _and_ TCP).

Therefore you always need to start both atalkd _and_ afpd if you want to AppleShare via DDP.

Am I wrong?

Regards

        Carsten

BTW: There is no "Re:" in your reply subject.
Makes it hard to follow a thread!