Re: very [newbie]

Subject: Re: very [newbie]
From: Cliff Crawford (cjc26@cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 08:49:34 EST

* Bob Rogers <rogers-netatalk@rgrjr.dyndns.org> menulis:

> . . . Therefore you always need to start both atalkd _and_ afpd if
> you want to AppleShare via DDP.
>
> That could be; I've hardly used DDP in this configuration, because of
> the aforementioned printer issue. And I haven't tried my TCP-only
> configuration without atalkd, either.
>
> So, I hope somebody solidly in the know will speak up and set me
> right, so I don't go confusing any more newbies. ;-}

Carsten is correct. afpd implements the file server for both appletalk
and tcp, while atalkd implements the AppleTalk networking protocols and
has nothing to do with file serving itself. So both need to be running
to do AppleShare over appletalk.

--
Cliff Crawford

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition burns a picture to obtain the ashes. - Chinese proverb