Re: Samba and Netatalk

Subject: Re: Samba and Netatalk
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 11:41:48 EST

Frank Joerdens wrote:
> Please explain. I've kinda regretted using Netatalk/Samba because of
> this and troubles with the mswindwos/codepage options. If NT/2000 has
> trouble with locking too, that would be a relief!

        Albeit better than the NON-EXISTANCE of shared locking between
Samba/Netatalk (although the new Samba has a locking API, so
theoretically any program can use its locking API to "stay safe" with
Samba), NT/2k still do not lock well between the two platforms. There is
no way to lock parts of a file, and write-locks don't exist, so both
plats can simultaneously write to the same file and possibly corrupt it
horribly.

--

Matthew Keller Enterprise Systems Analyst Computing & Technology Services Information Services Division State University of New York at Potsdam Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/ PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/