Re: with red hat 7

Subject: Re: with red hat 7
From: Walt Reed (walt@mail.terrascope.com.criticalpath.net)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 02:14:37 EST

>do you have any idea where i may be able to down load appletalk to load into
>my kernel?

if you follow the guides for compiling your kernel you will find it
in the source. i recommend using the xconfig option, as it's the
easiest, probably because it's graphical. if you want to try and
load it as a module into your existing kernel (which is what i think
you are really asking) from the prompt, give an su command and cd to
/. find -name appletalk.o. read the man page for insmod and write
an appropriate command in your rc scripts (/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk, in
this case). your line may look something like this:

/sbin/insmod /wherever/appletalk.o/lives/appletalk.o

and you would want to insert it before any real work gets done. when
i installed a new version of netatalk on redhat 7.0, i did not have
to do this, & don't know why. i just did it because i knew i was
going to compile 2.4.2, but it worked with the kernel that came with
it which i _don't_ believe had appletalk compiled into it (but i
never checked). you might try this last.

>AppleVolumes.system - does that point the mac to a directory when it logs in.
>i was kind of lost as to what the .system and .volumes were.

AV.system is used primarily for translation. use AV.default for your
shares. i have a couple of different netatalk servers, so after the
~ i usually add the name of the machine and a home designation, such
as:

~ foo_home

on one machine and:

~ bar_home

on another.

so that people don't get confused in the chooser. i also name the
shares differently such as:

/var/www/html foo_apache

or

/some_directory_i'd_like_to_share /bar_share

>and anders really
>didn't tell me how to set afpd.conf and atalk.conf.

ah, but did you read the files themselves? they give pretty good
documentation. in afpd i always bind the host to the ip i want, like

        foo -address 192.168.1.1

but you really don't have to do anything in the file. it's just a
habit from using a dual-homed host.

in atalkd.conf, you just have to insert the name of the interface.
on redhat 7.0 (or any other version of redhat) you would simply place
an "eth0" at the end of the file. netatalk will do the rest.

reading these files will give you an idea of what's available and let
you test out options you might like. the only one i'd stay away from
is the noadouble option. it does some wierd shit on your shares.

have fun,