Re: 1-gigabit-router for netatalk?

Subject: Re: 1-gigabit-router for netatalk?
From: Alistair Riddell (ali@gwc.org.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 12:25:28 EST

You haven't a hope in hell of getting anything like 1Gbps of throughput
through a regular PC acting as a router. To get anything like wire speed
you need a dedicated hardware router/switch, which uses specially designed
ASICs to get that sort of throughput. With a PentiumPro you would probably
get more like 100Mbps of throughput.

Netatalk should be OK for the AppleTalk stuff but presumably most of the
traffic will be IP which is handled solely by the kernel.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh