Re: Appletalk over IP not working

Subject: Re: Appletalk over IP not working
From: Eric Long (eric@metrotv.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 20:14:52 EST

> the message: "afpd[6909]: main: atp_open: Can't assign requested
> address" means the requested address that can't be assigned is the
> appletalk address. the message goes away when you start atalkd, because
> then afpd has something to bind to.

Understood.

> one way to tell if afpd ahs indeed bound to port 548 is to telnet to
> that port and see if you get an answer. should look something like this:
>
> $ telnet x.x.x.x 548
> Trying x.x.x.x ...
> Connected to <machine name>.
> Escape character is '^]'.

Did that, didn't work. See my message in response to another posting to
this list. I do not have 1.4b2 + asun extensions installed.

> also, just so we're all clear, when you say "Just want to do appletalk
> over TCP/IP", don't you mean appleshare over tcp/ip?

Yes, of course.

> also, there has been a lot of discussion in tha past about properly
> configured /etc/hosts files. is the interface you want afpd to bind to
> named in /etc/hosts? it might be helpful to make sure both the client
> and the server have proper forward & reverse dns entries, or at least
> /etc/hosts entries.

/etc/hosts is fine as are forward and reverse dns. I need to get past the
compiling errors of 1.4b2 + asun.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Eric