Re: postscript error printing to network PCL laserjet

Subject: Re: postscript error printing to network PCL laserjet
From: alan premselaar (alien@12inch.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 04:10:38 EST

Just a couple of ideas.

first, are you *SURE* that your RH printtool is sending postscript to the
printer? the printer isn't postscript capable, so that would mean that
your Edimax PrintSir (which i'm not familiar with) would have to know how
to translate postscript into HPCL.

secondly, the error messages you're seeing with regards to the .ppd files,
are basically saying you don't have a PPD file defined. You'd want your
papd.conf to look similar to:

ophelia:\
        :pr=lp:pd=<path to .ppd files>:

(my setup is pd=/usr/lib/atalk/ppds/<ppdfilename>)

thirdly, the error messages with regards to the lock file makes me think
that your /etc/printcap file isn't configured properly. even though you're
sending the jobs to a remote printer, you should probably still define a
spool directory for your lp: definition in /etc/printcap (to be on the safe
side and to create lock files in)
you'll also want to setup any postscript filters in your /etc/printcap file
as well.

lastly, and most importantly, if your RH printtool is NOT sending
postscript, and you don't *actually* have a postscript interpreter
somewhere between your mac and your printer, it just won't work.

hope this is helpful

alan

At 3:34午前 -0500 3.20.01, j.g. ungar wrote:
>I've got netatalk 1.5pre5 built from source on my RH7 (well, it started
>out as a RH7 machine, now kernel 2.4.2) box working nicely, except for
>printing from my mac (OS 9.04 box).
>
>The printer is an HP LaserJet 6L (non-postscript) with an Edimax PrintSir
>Plus (PS-900+) 'pocket size' print server attached. The Linux machine
>prints just fine to this server via LPR, including PostScript (well, the
>RH printtool test page works fine anyway).
>
>My papd.conf is pretty minimal:
>
>ophelia:\
> :pr=lp:
>

>Unfortunately I can't print anything from the Mac. Syslog shows:
>
>Mar 20 00:25:09 anubis papd[19861]: child 20140 for "ophelia" from
>65345.119
>Mar 20 00:25:09 anubis papd[20140]: read_ppd .ppd: No such file or
>directory
>Mar 20 00:25:10 anubis papd[20140]: lp_init: lock: No such file or
>directory
>Mar 20 00:25:10 anubis papd[20140]: lp_open failed
>Mar 20 00:25:10 anubis papd[19861]: child 20140 done
>

>Hmmm. I'm not sure how to proceed in trying to get this working. At one
>time I was able to print to this printer from the mac, using Netatalk, but
>the printer was attached to the PC's parallel port, not on the network
>with a print server as it is now.
>
>Any suggestions ?
>

>Thanks -
>

>jonathan ungar

----
  there's nothing like the undying sense of reliability provided by modern
technology.
----
alan premselaar
alien@12inch.com