Re: rand2num passwords OpenBSD 2.8

Subject: Re: rand2num passwords OpenBSD 2.8
From: Karen A Swanberg (swanberg@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 11:00:07 EST

It is appropriate to this list to post compilation problems, or should
those just be sent to the netatalk@umich.edu address?

on 03.20.01, Curtis Hulett wisely declared:

> Have you created the afppasswd file? I was having the same problem as
> you untill yesterday when I realized I might not have the correct
> passwcd file. I just used
>
> afppasswd -c

I was under the impression that this is only new to the 1.499 and 1.5pre
trees? I have been unable to compile anything above 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on my
system. I dropped the umich folks a note about it. I'm on
1.4b2+asun2.1.3/OpenBSD 2.8.

> to create it and then changed the passwords for my test accounts. I then
> had to add
>
> -uamlist uams_randnum.so

I have't yet figured out how to "activate" the UAM's on my system on
1.4b2..., everything that is needed is on the system, but the make isn't
adding them in, and I haven't seen how to do it in any of the
documentation for that release (I have been very impressed with the
documentation for 1.5pre5, though, great job!)

> My question is: is there another way to get encryption to work? It would
> be nice to have encrypted passwords, but still be able to use
> /etc/shadow as the passwd file.

I second this question. I haven't figured out any way to get encryption to
work on 1.4b2 on my system, regardless of Mac OS. As far as I know,
OpenBSD doesn't support shadow passwords, there is a master.passwd file
instead, so I haven't dared try to add in --dshadow in my makefile.

I'm willing to use any encryption method (except kerberos, I'm not up for
that quite yet!) at this point, until the 1.5 or 1.6 tree compiles on my
system and I can do it "correctly."

-Karen

> Karen A Swanberg wrote:
> >
> > I've scoured the mail archives and the docs for the answer to this one, it
> > should be working...
> >
> > I've installed netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on an OpenBSD 2.8
> > server. Everything works except getting encrypted passwords. I've tried a
> > number of things. First, my makefile did have the directory to find des.a
> > and libdes.a, and compiled without errors. Is there something I need to do
> > to activate DES in the OpenBSD kernel? I can't imagine the default GENERIC
> > kernel doesn't have it turned on.
> >
> > I had my rc.local file disabling guest as it launched afpd for awhile,
> > with the -G option, but turned it off while working on this problem.
> >
> > Right now my afpd.conf files says:
> >
> > "server" -noguest -nocleartext -savepassword -setpassword -rand2num
> >
> > AppleVolumes.default has:
> >
> > ~
> > /home/public "PublicFileShare"
> >
> > The macs will still let me on, but the login screen says "cleartext" and
> > won't let me change or set passwords. This is true on OS 8.1, 8.6 and
> > 9.0.4.
> >
> > .passwd exists in my home directory, and in /home/public, and has
> > the correct permissions etc.
> >
> > When I make those changes to afpd.conf, and SIGHUP afpd and atalkd, this
> > turns up in /var/log/daemon:
> >
> > afpd[24529] disallowing logins
> >
> > But I can still log in from the macs as myself and the test account.
> >
> > I just started working with Netatalk a week or so ago, so I'm still fairly
> > new to it's workings.
> >
> > I see references to afppasswd in the mail archives, but no such thing
> > exists on my system. Is that linux only?
> >
> > I think I'm missing something really simple. Anyone see it?
> >
> > And, another really stupid question. I was using the precompiled
> > port/package of netatalk for OpenBSD first, and had problems. So I
> > compiled the one I'm using now and it works much better. But the port had
> > the BSD devil icon on the share tray instead of the world, which the
> > compiled version has. I'd like the BSD icon back, but when I get the copy
> > on the BSD webpage, it's not transparent, and I can't get it to be
> > transparent. I've tried a number of methods to make it transparent, but
> > apparently I'm much more graphically challenged than I thought. I don't
> > suppose someone would be willing to send me a copy of the transparent BSD
> > appleshare icon?
> >
> > Thanks and sincerely,
> >
> > * *
> > Karen Swanberg |
> > Network Admin. | Error: Sector not found--
> > Dept. of Geology/Geophysics |search behind couch? (Y/N)
> > 206 Pillsbury Hall |
> > 310 Pillsbury Ave. SE |
> > University of Mn | Enter any 11-digit prime
> > Minneapolis, MN 55455 | number to continue...
> > (612) 624-6541 |
> > * *

* *