Re: Multiple Netatalk servers

Subject: Re: Multiple Netatalk servers
From: Danny Sauer (dsauer@teleologic.net)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 11:37:23 EST

Bob wrote regarding 'Re: Multiple Netatalk servers' on Fri, Mar 23 at 10:23:
> From: Basil Hussain <basil.hussain@specialreserve.net>
> Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:54:57 +0000

> From: "Joe Rhodes" <joe_b_rhodes@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Two servers --Solved!!!
>
> You can (and probably should, but I don't know, I'm no expert) have
> the default line of
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
> in there . . .
>
> FWIW, my /etc/hosts has no 127.0.0.1 line, and the loopback interface
> seems to be fully functional (under RH 6.0 +errata, kernel 2.2.17). I
> don't think there even was an /etc/hosts before I created it.
>
> But I'm sure this is quite specific to Linux and/or Red Hat. (Though
> I'm no expert, either.)

The interface itself would work as 127.0.0.1 without an entry in /etc/hosts,
and a lot of times your local DNS server will have an entry for localhost and
127.0.0.1 that your system will use in place of the hosts file entry for
name resolution. You really don't even need an /etc/hosts in most cases
anyway - it's just faster than DNS for your own hostname (and works before the
network interface is up).

--Danny