Re: Another reason to go GPL

Subject: Re: Another reason to go GPL
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 15:06:15 EST

On 2001.03.27 13:27:38 -0500 "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." wrote:
> A reason not to go GPL: companies will be less likely to assist with
> development if they can't release their own version without being
> _compelled_ to give away everything they've done on it.

        Couch that as "some companies" and I'll whole-heartedly agree with
you. There are others who won't assist because their contributions aren't
guaranteed free. For example, company X adds widget support to Netatalk,
company Y - under the BSD license - can take that widget support code and
add it to their proprietary product. I've worked with a lot more
clients/companies that dislike the BSD license for those reasons, than
don't want to be forced to commit code (although they do exist, don't get
me wrong).

> Perhaps Samba should consider the BSD license.

        This has been discussed a number of times, and always met with
overwhelming rejection.

--
Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst