Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...

Subject: Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...
From: Steven Karel (karelsf@brandeis.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 12:08:16 EST

1. Just wanted to concur with Marcus that netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4-pre37b
works fine with the appleshare client in OS X 10.0,.whereas the public
beta failed horribly . Not all versions of netatalk are that well behaved,
however. I haven't tested exhaustively, but I do know that 37b works on at
least 4 of our servers (RH 6.2/RH 7.0). Also, the old version 1.4b2-2.1.3
seems to work as well.

2. Setting -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS doesn't seem to be necessary for this
purpose, although it may help with file locking for other reasons. Marcus,
if you could be so kind, can you explain for us again what problems it
solves, and where exactly you recommend setting it? (I added
-DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS in the sys/linux/Makefile DEFS= line)

README.ASUN says:

        byte locks should now work. if you want to enable the old way
        of doing things, add -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS.

thanks,

stevne