Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...

Subject: Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...
From: Lorenzo Perone (lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 03:47:17 EST

Hi fellow neta-admins,

I've been 'going down deep' into the OSX/netatalk adventure ;-)

I've tried the -DFLOCKS (adding it to the DEFS line - correct?) thing and pre-asun2.1.4-38b_test.
No success, I get -43 and -37 errors _everywhere_ (uploading and downloading) - looks like an .AppleDouble problem? (thought they were related to resources, those errors).
But the same dirs used to work perfectly with pre3m (I'll check thisone out, anyway!).

With pre-asun2.1.4-37b it got better:
Mounts OK, downloads and gives the -43 error only on some files.
But then, after throwing one copied folder to the trash, when trying to empty it, I get a message with 'not enough privileges to perform operation'.
Weird enough: I got into the terminal, su-rooted (with an enabled root account, via NetInfoManager).
This is what I got when I tried to rm the stuff in /Users/lopez/.Trash:

override rwx------ lopez/staff for 6100's/Preferences/UMAX/VistaScan/Viewer Files/BRI4.JPG? y
rm: 6100's/Preferences/UMAX/VistaScan/Viewer Files/BRI4.JPG: Operation not permitted

I tried to chmod 660 all the stuff in there:

root# chmod -R 660 *
chmod: 6100's//Preferences/UMAX/VistaScan/Viewer Files/Y9.JPG: Operation not permitted
sort of weird! How can I get rid of that stuff now??

it could well be that it's the names of that folder I tried with, which contain 'Preferences' and other strange mac chars. Anyway, an ls -la in the undeletable folder items gives:

-rwx------ 1 lopez staff 6988 May 27 1998 Y5_4.JPG
-rwx------ 1 lopez staff 6940 May 27 1998 Y5_5.JPG

After testing with other folders, things looked much better, but I still get
- unsufficient privileges
- an item with the name 'Icon' already exists
- some other errors

but with other dirs I did not have the trashing-permission problem........

....at least, I got to mount the volumes on Mac OS X 10.0.0, which I never got to work with netatalk 1.4.99 and sourceforge-successors.
I'd be glad if someone has a solution...... anyway, I'm sure as soon as rufustfirefly or asun or anybody else involved will get to reproduce the problems, they'll be solved.
Damned...... I'd really like to start using OSX now, despite it being some kind of 'Beta 2'.
I tried hard, with all versions of netatalk I could find. I'm not a C programmer, just a web developer, and sysadmin.
I compiled mostly on LinuxPPC (cause there I have our most important files).

:-(

Allright, now I'll reboot into macos9, and since it worked so well with OS9, switch back to 1.5pre3........

Lorenzo

p.s.

here's a list of my experiments....... if it can be useful to anybody, anyway. I mean, it can be a reference only to those that see matching experiences in at least 2 cases ;)

=== 1.4b2+asun2.1.3: ===

Same experience with the following OSes:

SuSE Linux 6.3/Intel:
SuSE Linux 7.0/Intel
SuSE Linux 7.0/PPC
LinuxPPC 2000 Q4

- distri standard;
- works with OS9, slow. resource, ownership, ID related problems on OS9;
- OSX client connects and mounts, but plenty of problems when opening / editing files;

=== netatalk-pre-asun2.1.4-38b_test ===

LinuxPPC 2000 Q4

- works with OS9, FAST. seems OK on OS9, but I'd have to make more tests, no time now.
- OSX client connects and mounts, but -43 and -37 errors EVERYWHERE, also with files without resources or type/creators;

=== netatalk-pre-asun2.1.4-37b===

LinuxPPC 2000 Q4

- OS9 not tested yet
- OSX client connects and mounts, but -43 and -37 errors when copying, but only on some files.
- When putting things of SOME folders to the trash (looks like folder name problems!), can't empty trash 'not enough privileges'
- otherwise _very fast_ on OSX, also on many folders and files!

=== netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108 ===

SuSE Linux 6.3/Intel:
- works with OS9; fast. alias problems;
- OSX clients get disconnected immediately after share choice;

LinuxPPC 2000 Q4:
- compiled but didn't work: disconnect upon file share choice with OS9.

=== netatalk-1.5pre3 ===

SuSE Linux 6.3/Intel:
- works with OS9; fast. folder alias problems;
- OSX clients get disconnected immediately after share choice; slow sherlock name searches;
- best choice for me now (production).

SuSE Linux 7.0/Intel
- works with OS9; fast. folder alias problems;
- OSX clients get disconnected immediately after share choice; slow sherlock name searches;
- best choice for me now (production).

LinuxPPC 2000 Q4
- configure-related problems (setpgrp...), 'commented' out to get ahead.
- works with OS9; fast. folder alias problems; extremely slow sherlock name searches;
- OSX clients get disconnected immediately after share choice;
- best choice for me now (production).

=== netatalk-1.5pre4 ===

LinuxPPC 2000 Q4
- compiled but didn't work: disconnect upon file share choice with OS9 (same problem as with OSX).

SuSE Linux 6.3/Intel:
- problems compiling

=== netatalk-1.5pre5 ===

LinuxPPC 2000 Q4
- configure-related problems (can not check if setpgrp is cross compiling...), 'commented' out some configure lines to get ahead.
- suspicious messages when making
- install problems: codepages not found? had to get them from an older /etc/atalk file
- after a few hours of work, when i came back and netatalk had crashed.
- switched back to pre3

:-|

p.p.s.

I like thisone quite a bit. It' s just about almost everything:

>"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
> Marcus Radich 1999

assuming is a bad habit......
difficult to give up, in some cases, too......
(it always gives the illusion to be effective - especially in programming issues)

;-)

Lorenzo