Can't start netatalk on Debian

Subject: Can't start netatalk on Debian
From: Rory Campbell-Lange (rory@campbell-lange.net)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 10:57:56 EDT

Hi

I'm trying to get netatalk running on a VALinux box running Debian.

When I run /etc/init.d/netatalk start I get the following errors:

socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting
    atalkd afpd papd

I seem to remember using a gui tool to write the line in atalkd.conf that
provided the following on a LinuxPPC box I am using elsewhere:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 6 -addr 6.21 -zone "MHP Main Office"

However the netatalk docs suggest that this line will be created
automatically: "If there is no configuration file, atalkd will attempt to
configure all available interfaces and will create a configuration file".
However I DO have a config file - it just doesn't have any uncommented
lines in it. Is this wrong?

A simple "eth0" in atalkd.conf doesn't work.

I guess these problems may have something to do with my routing table. I
don't have a route for localhost, and I'm not sure if the first entry in
the table is sensible.

route:
Destination GW Mask
194.159.148.140 194.159.148.1 255.255.255.255
194.159.148.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0
0.0.0.0 194.159.148.1 0.0.0.0

I'd be grateful for help.

Rory