Re: Filename Length Trickery

Subject: Re: Filename Length Trickery
From: Ryan McBeth (ryan@mobiusnm.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 07:17:08 EDT

        Alon,

        In all honesty, one of the best ways to fix this problem
involves no programming at all.
        Use Social engineering.

        Let your employees know, through their employee handbook, or
their initial training, that you can't make filenames greater than 31
characters.

        Believe it or not, this approach can work.

        Ryan

>As some of you might remember, I've been trying to get Mac clients
>to see files on my server that have lengths greater than 31 chars.
>After taking a brief look at the source code, I changed
>
>globals.h: #define MACFILELEN 31
>globals.h: #define MACFILELEN 120
>
>which successfully makes Netatalk show the longer-named files to the
>Mac clients. However, it could of course never be that easy, and I
>now get the error
>
>"The document "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" could not be opened,
>because an error of type -37 occurred."
>
>whenever I try to read long-named files from a client (OS 9.04 in
>this case). I assume the problem has something to do with
>name-length translation between the client and the
>server....somewhere along the line the name must be getting
>truncated, which is why the file cannot be found.
>
>Now, is there any way I can get this setup to work?, or should I
>just give up all hope now :) The Finder can obviously handle
>displaying names of length greater than 31, but it is not able to
>read them properly. I (wrongfully) assumed that the Mac client
>would truncate to 31 chars on its own, if it ever saw long-named
>files. Is this something that is fixed in OS 9.1 ? Is this
>something that can be fixed with some more code hacking perhaps?
>
>At this point I'm inclined to write a shell script that'll go thru
>my list of long-named files and place short-named symlinks to them
>in another directory....which I would then share with the Mac
>clients. It's really ugly and a pain-in-the-ass, but it's the best
>idea I have right now.
>
>Anybody got any ideas ?
>
>aLoN

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
"The NeXT Computer: The hardware makes it a PC,
the software makes it a workstation, the unit
sales makes it a mainframe."
-Anon.