Re: sharing a mounted HFS volume

Subject: Re: sharing a mounted HFS volume
From: Jonathan Paisley (jonp@chem.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 06:11:31 EDT

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Rob Lineweaver wrote:

I've managed to get HFS cdroms under linux (2.2.17) to work fine.

# mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt/hfscd -o ro,afpd

You'll need to adjust the volume name in AppleVolumes as appropriate.
Here's a script that does that (I've got /mnt/hfscd in my fstab as above):
[not the neatest of scripts but it seems to work]

#!/bin/sh

#offset 85 is start of volume name

if mount /mnt/hfscd; then

VOL=`cat /mnt/hfscd/.AppleDouble/.Parent | cut -b 87-106 | tr -d '\0'`

cat > $HOME/.AppleVolumes <<EOT
/mnt/hfscd "$VOL"
EOT

fi

Beware that with some versions of netatalk, afpd will die when accessing
files on such a filesystem. I'm using pre5 (with permissions patch) and
it's fine.

--
Jonathan Paisley
jonp@chem.gla.ac.uk