Re: problem starting afpd

Subject: Re: problem starting afpd
From: rnf (rnf@tbird.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 18:59:10 EDT

> Hello,
>
> I just installed netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4 on an Ultrasparc server
> running Solaris 8 (compilation with the Sun C compiler).
>
> When afpd starts, it sends the following message in /var/adm/messages :
>
> Apr 11 07:54:15 helios afpd[610]: [ID 272954 daemon.error]
> uam_load(uams_dhx.so): failed to load: ld.so.1:
> /usr/local/netatalk/sbin/afpd: fatal: relocation error: file
> /usr/local/netatalk/etc/uams/uams_dhx.so: symbol __eprintf: referenced
> symbol not found
>
> Thanks for any help.

Hi,

I had a similar problem because I had installed Solaris 8 without some of the
library support that loading a "development system" gives you.

You may be able to go back and install the compatibility libraries and
development support stuff nd make it work.

I don't know why this isn't caught at compile time with netatalk. I guess it
just assumes the libraries are there.

I also had a system that had another AppleTalk package on it that was removed
before netatalk was installed. It didn't work either, probably because the
de-install of the pld package didn't remove everything. A symptom of this was
that the netstat command didn't work either.

I had to reinstall Solaris to fix that one.

Hope this helps,

Rick