netatalk 1.5pre6 problem

Subject: netatalk 1.5pre6 problem
From: Brian Hendrickson (brian@megapump.com)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 06:50:11 EDT

problem: The Mac OS 10.0.1 Finder crashes when mounting a netatalk 1.5
volume, followed by the this error message:
           Disconnected
           The file server "RH7_Server" connection has
           unexpectedly closed down.
           [date&time]

server RedHat 7 x86
netatalk 1.5pre5 or 1.5pre6 RedHat 7 RPM binary distribution
clients Mac OS 9.1 or Mac OS 10.0.1 (Build 4L13)

test: using the Script Editor I made two "mount volume" Applescripts --
one saved as an OS X applet, the other as a Classic applet. The
Applescripts contain the following line:
           mount volume "afp://user:password@my.ip.add.ress/user/"

the OS X script crashes the Finder -- same as "Connect to Server"

the Classic script successfully mounts the volume on the Mac OS X
desktop, but there are some permissions issues. Make a new folder on the
desktop it can be copied to the share. Other files cannot be copied to
the share: "The operation cannot be completed because one or more
required items could not be found. (Error code -43)"

I recompiled 1.5pre5 from source and added -DSHADOWPW and -DFLOCKS with
no change

If anybody has any ideas about what might be causing these problems I'm
interested in pursuing it since I had noticed greatly improved
throughput performance in the netatalk 1.5 software, thanks to the
coders for their excellent work. Thanks!

Brian Hendrickson
brian@megapump.com