Re:netatalk 1.5p6, OS X 10.0.1, OS 9...

Subject: Re:netatalk 1.5p6, OS X 10.0.1, OS 9...
From: Lorenzo Perone (lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 11:16:51 EDT

At 14:41 Uhr +0100 25.04.2001, Sak Wathanasin wrote:

>>only netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4pre37_test (with -DUSE-FLOCK-LOCKS) gives the impression to work with OSX (few errors, succesful transfers...), but then causes sooner or later Darwin to panic. On the other hand, my OS9 clients keep freezing and caughing with the asun builds....
>
>Well, I'm running RH7.0 (6.2 previously) and not SUSE but netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4-pre39 runs 24 X 7 with no problems. It eeven works with OSX, though I haven't run that for any sustained period. I have a variety of Mac clients, mostly 9.1 but 8.1 and 7.6 as well. I have my servers mounted at startup and they stay mounted until I shutdown. I don't see any signs of "OS9 clients keep freezing and caughing" here, not because of netatalk anyway: when I poke around with Macsbug, I find that the culprit is usually IE5.

Good hint, thanx (IE). How to do without it, anyway....(?)... M$ seems to like to make the macs look even more unstable than they would be without all those M$ extensions and apps...

Dunno, but by 'caughing' I mean problems in the 'realworld use'. i.e. opening, saving, moving... especially writing to volumes. Would You try pre39 from OSX for some more time (like editing a file in pshop, saving, copying a big file tree to the server and back)? I could trigger the panic on 10.0.1/pre37/SuSE6.3 quite reliably by alt-dragging (ie duplicating) files on the server itself (into a different dir). Note - we have 2771 on those dirs and 0660 on files (if that can be relevant somehow).

I'm not saying that the 1.5 tree doesn't have any problems (and I've been swearing at this tree _much_ more than at asuns when confing & compiling), but it feels like it's getting smoother, and it looks quite a bit faster with the 'new did'. BUT I'd immediately try post-pre37s if someone could confirm that there is really a way to make it work with OSX without panics (again: sometimes it takes some time b4 they happen...)

BTW: I've seen OSX going lightning fast over netatalk+asun2.1.4-pre37test - especially in things like folder listings. Rescanning a site in golive is a charm.... Unfortunately only in the short moments before darwin panics... (which it seems to do most when writing, rather than reading) :..-(

:-)

Lorenzo