crash when saving from Codewarrior to 1.4b2 volume

Subject: crash when saving from Codewarrior to 1.4b2 volume
From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 06:06:24 EDT

Greetings,

I'm using the netatalk 1.4b2 which is provided as part of the Slackware
7.1 linux distribution, and I've been using it with Linux kernel 2.4.3
and (just since last night) 2.4.4. My Mac is an 8500 running Mac OS 8.6.

I use netatalk to serve the source files I'm developing under the Mac OS
with Metrowerks Codewarrior Pro 6.1. Sometimes when I do a "save as",
and try to save the file to my netatalk volume, Codewarrior crashes.

It doesn't crash if I save to a SCSI disk. I'm afraid I don't have
another mac at my disposal to see if the crash would occur saving to a
stock AppleShare server.

This could well be a CodeWarrior bug, or Mac OS system bug, I haven't
narrowed it down yet.

When the crash happens it will persist for the folder I'm trying to save
the file into. That is, if the mac sees the folder
Development:projects:myproject: , once the crash starts occuring it will
occur anytime I try to save a file into :myproject:

Usually I can work around it by saving the file to my SCSI disk, then
dragging the file in the Finder to the netatalk volume. After that the
crash won't happen again for a while.

Sometimes the crash occurs when the save as dialog has just finished
drawing, sometimes it occurs after I have entered a filename and press
OK (the point at which the file should actually get written).

Codewarrior is using those newfangled save as dialog (navigation
services or some such thing), it's not StandardPutFile or SFPutFile.

Is this something that the development netatalk on sourceforge may have
addressed? If so, is that code stable enough to be using for production
purposes - I'm writing code for a paying client using netatalk (I do
make frequent backups...)

Are you using netatalk to write cross-platform products? Have a look at
ZooLib.
http://zoolib.sourceforge.net You can write native applications for Mac
OS, Windows, BeOS and Linux from a single C++ sourcebase. I share the
same source folder with netatalk to my mac, with samba to Windows NT or
98 on my other PC, and use gcc on Linux so (at the cost of three
machines) I can build for three platforms without having to reboot
anything or transfer any files. It will support *BSD and solaris soon,
there's no reason it shouldn't work on them but there are some things
that need to be fiddled with.

Mike
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/