a strange discovery...

Subject: a strange discovery...
From: Dave Ritter (dave.ritter@newtimes.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 23:21:19 EDT

Has anyone noticed that directories and files shared by netatalk are case
sensitive?

I can have a folder on my netatalk server with three files named test, TEST
and Test. These files exist fine together in the same folder as long as they
are on the server. If I copy this folder to my desktop, the Finder complains
about a file named "test" already existing. This is an easy problem when
there are only three files but when you have hundreds of files it is another
matter.

I know I will get answers back about using the case conversion options but I
would like to find a more elegant way of handling this.

Now that I think about this, I am surprised I have not seen this problem
before.

it should not make any difference but...
Red Hat 7 on intel
Software RAID 5 on SCSI disks
Switched 100 base-t network
netatalk-1.5pre3-1mdk.i586.rpm

We use netatalk servers in a newspaper production environment.
We use Quark XPress and I despise it because of it's bad network behavior.

-Dave