Unix (Netatalk) Client of Conventional MacOS Server?

Subject: Unix (Netatalk) Client of Conventional MacOS Server?
From: Allan Hunter (ahunter3@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 14:10:05 EDT

Hello, list! Complete Unix newbie here, courtesy of MacOS X (I'm
afraid you'll be getting more and more of this...)

Suppose I wish to access the shares that are set up on Macintosh
computers here in our organization, and I am running a BSD Unix
variant (MacOS X in this case). Those Macintoshes (hundreds of them,
in dozens of hallways throughout many buildings in many states -- in
other words, changing how THEY are set up isn't a viable answer here)
are not running AppleShare of the IP variety but just plain old
garden variety AppleTalk-based file sharing over Ethernet.

Will Netatalk enable me to be a CLIENT of those shares? Or is
Netatalk only useful for turning Unix boxes into AppleShare SERVERS?

If Netatalk won't allow me to be a client, what will? (There HAS to
be something! I refuse to believe there doesn't exist a way for a
Unix box to function as an individual workstation in an AppleTalk
networked environment!)

Relevant additional information: MacOS X in its out-of-the-box form
is not able to browse AppleShare resources except for those that sit
piggyback on top of TCP/IP. Plain old garden variety AppleTalk file
sharing isn't affiliated with TCP/IP.

--
Allan Hunter

<ahunter3@earthlink.net> <http://home.earthlink.net/~ahunter>