Aliases: Are alternate filesystems worth trying?

Subject: Aliases: Are alternate filesystems worth trying?
From: Richard Goldman (rgml@graphpoint.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 13:30:22 EDT

Dear People,

A question, please, and your knowledge, and even guesses would
be much appreciated:

I know from previous discussion that Macintosh aliases become
"unhinged" from the files or directories they are supposed to point
to because the alias contains some kind of ID (did? inode?) that
gets recycled by Linux. Because of this (and the fact that the
absolute path of the file isn't stored in the alias), the Mac alias can
end up pointing somewhere else entirely. At least such is my
understanding.

So here's the question:

Is it Linux itself, at some "virtual" filesystem level, that is re-cycling
these ID's, or is it due to the nature and operations of the ext2
filesystem?

Put another way, is the alias problem (re: 1.5pre6 and previous)
endemic to Linux, or do you think I'll have better luck if I try another
filesystem (managable under Linux) such as ReiserFS or ext3 or
???

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts.

Sincerely,
Richard