newbie netatalk printing questions..

Subject: newbie netatalk printing questions..
From: Lorenzo Perone (lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 15:51:03 EDT

Hi all,

while I've become accustomed somehow (thanks to you, mostly :) to afpd and atalkd configuration and admin, but I have _just_ finished reading the papd manual and some basic linux printing docs;

I am evaluating the possibility to get some epson stylus color usb ink jet printers to work over the net with macos and windows boxes accessing them over the print dialog.

My (_very_) newbie questions are:

- Is papd needed, or is it just the 'printing atalkd', i.e. a daemon to get the jobs transferred over the AppleTalk protocol? Or is it usable over TCP/IP too?

- Any good links/hints/manpages on how to set up a standard 'lpr protocol' print server over TCP/IP, so that creating a printer symbol via LPR protocol with the appropriate ppd would be enough on the mac, as well as (similarly) on windows2k?

Thanks very much,

:-)

Lorenzo