Re: User authentication

Subject: Re: User authentication
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@lafferty.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 14:48:59 EDT

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 07:49:48PM +0200, Olaf Hering (olh@suse.de) wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, Rich Lafferty wrote:
>
> > > I am using the SuSE rpm, thus shadowed password support is compiled in
> > > and I provided .passwd files for every user in their home-directories
> > > which are set to the correct permission status.
> >
> > I suspect that netatalk wasn't built against libdes.
>
> Do you think its possible to sell such a copy?

Netatalk's free, and so is libdes. Anyone's allowed to download it,
and download libdes, and link them together, if their country allows
the use of light crypto. And both, IIRC, give you the right to resell
it. So I'm not sure why it wouldn't be.

> The crypto stuff is somewhat problematic for a distributor...

I'm not familiar enough with German cryptography law to comment on
whether or not that would be a problem for SuSE. But they distribute
OpenSSL. I suspect it's just a case of not knowing what options
netatalk users tend to use.

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  "Do not dangle the mouse by the cord or